We are a full-service animal hospital dedicated to providing the best pet care on the East End. Serving the pets of East Hampton, NY, as well as surrounding areas, we are a group of trained and compassionate veterinary professionals with a common goal to keep animals happy and healthy.
Our office will be closed on Labor Day, Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Years Day, Easter, Memorial Day and July 4th. Otherwise, our normal office hours are:
Originally East Hampton Animal Hospital, our practice opened its doors in 1929 right where it stands today!
Veterinary medicine sparked on the South Fork in 1906. William W. Bennett, a 1906 graduate of Cornell, started practicing in the East End by travelling around the South Fork on horse and buggy caring primarily for cattle and carriage horses. After Dr. William Bennett passed away in 1941, Dr. Al Pontick became owner. Being the only animal hospital on the South Fork, the practice welcomed dogs and cats to the practice during the 1940's which resulted in tremendous growth and steady success. So much so, that by 1954, Dr. Pontick needed the assistance of Dr. Herb French to care for all of his patients.
The next doctor to practice at East Hampton was the son of a local dairy farmer who would work at the hospital after school and on weekends. Now with a degree, Dr. Gould formed a professional relationship with Dr. Pontick leading to the establishment of Olde Towne Animal Hospital in nearby Southampton in 1965. For several years, both practices functioned as a partnership with Dr. Pontick and Dr. Gould practicing at each facility.
The demand for small animal practices had far surpassed the original horse and cattle patients of the rural East End by the mid 1960's. Drs. Pontick, Gould and French were doctors of two high-volume practices caring for dogs, cats, farm animals and horses. Keep in mind, until 1980, between Southampton and Montauk, there were at least six working dairy farms, one thoroughbred breeding ranch, and countless backyard farmsteads!
By the end of the 1960's, the partnership between the two hospitals ended. Now, Drs. Pontick and French practiced at East Hampton with a new doctor joining Dr. Gould at Olde Towne. The care needed for large animals did not slow down. East Hampton needed a third veterinarian to help with the busy practice. Dr. Dale Tarr was welcomed to the practice and within two years, East Hampton operated mainly as a small-animal practice while Olde Towne stopped offering services for large animals all together. East Hampton had their hands full!
In the 1970's, a new trend of horseback riding and show horses hit the East Hampton and Southampton areas. By this time, Dr. Pontick only practiced part-time during the summer months. As riding stables and equitation academies popped up throughout the South Fork, Dr. Tom Rothwell joined the team. This new animal trend revived the historical Hampton Classic Horse providing East Hampton with a large horse population to care for. In 1978, Drs. French, Tarr and Rothwell formed a partnership and changed the name of the animal hospital to East Hampton Veterinary Group.
By 1996, East Hampton no longer cared for large animals after providing services to cattle and horses for over 50 years.
Today, Dr. Kenneth Palmer is the owner of the oldest veterinary practice on the East End. He combines traditional and homeopathic medicine with Chinese herbal treatments and acupuncture to provide leading medical and surgical care on the East End.